Singapore: Family Dinner at Kim’s Seafood Place (From Street Hawker to Restaurant & Caterer)

On my last evening in Singapore last year, the family decided to have dinner at this restaurant with a very inspiring story in Joo Chiat Road. SisterJ have been here before and knowing that I am always interested in encouraging stories behind places we eat and visit, she brought me here.


On the walls of the restaurant the history of the business was hanged where it all started with a simple yet tasty Chinese Malay-Singapore dish: Hokkien Mee (stir-fried egg and rice noodles with prawns, egg, pork and chicken). This became the pillar of the business making the hawker very popular. News clippings, awards and pictures on the wall showing the journey of Kim’s Seafood Place through 2 generations.

From a simple street hawker in the 1960’s to a thriving restaurant and caterer now. Isn’t that very inspiring?

The family however were not in the mood to eat any Hokkien Mee. Instead, we ordered a roasted crispy duck, braised pork swimming in sauce, some bakchoy vegetables with garlic and a giant chili crab. We were careful not to order a lot since the portions were quite big.

The crispy duck was crunchy and delicious. I am not so much into the braised pork stuff but this was quite good though. Very tender and tasty. We should have ordered more vegetables. And the chili crab was genius, a craving for me really as the family watched me dismember the poor crustacean. I share the same seafood love with my father, and sometimes my sister. My mother however is a full pledged meat eater. Well, she can have all the pork and duck while I dig in to my crab.

As you might be aware of already, the eating culture in Asia is designed for everyone to share the food on the table with each other. I always looking forward to an eating set up like this when I am back in Asia. I can’t wait to go back (home) soon.

So yes, we quite enjoyed our dinner here. Thanks to SisterJ for the treat!


Cooked nuts with chili sauce.


Tiger beer for the win!


The history of Kim's Seafood Place on the wall of the restaurant.


Slicing the braised pork.


Sauteed bakchoy greens with lots of fried garlic.


Very crisy roasted whole duck.


Voila! The famous chili crab of Singapore. This is one giant of a crab.


Stalking the parents.


Ah, now that the dinner is over and our stomachs are satisfied, we can now take pictures =)


Travel Period: November 2015
Destination: Eastern Region, Singapore

Keep in touch and follow me on Facebook: Travel & Lifestyle Diaries by Dutched Pinay Travels
Happy Travels! Enjoy Life =)

All pictures were taken by a point and shoot pocket camera or iPhone.

Subscribe to receive free email updates: